If you’re responsible for your organisation’s IT, you probably have strong opinions on what effect digitisation will have on your department. Either you are excited by the prospect, and are keen to implement what is likely to be a game changing strategy for your organisation, or you see it as a spanner in the works – a disruptive technology that will interfere in your vision of IT for your company.
Whichever opinion you hold, you may have made some assumptions about what it means for your IT department. We tend to find that common misconceptions around digitisation and IT arise again and again, so for the record, here’s five of the most common, and our response:
- “We will lose control of our systems”. We provide automation as a managed service. All of the data collation, analysis and processing occurs in our cloud. You simply plug in to our service. This means that your systems remains exactly as they were before, with you in control. For an in-depth review of how we interface with your system, and how the data exchange works, see our information on IT requirements.
- “We’ll need to take on extra resource to support digitisation”. Digitisation, because it involves data, is seen as an IT ‘problem’. If you have no experience of this, then it’s understandable that you might want to fill any knowledge gaps you have. However, because our solution is a managed service, we support you throughout your digitisation and automation journey, even after implementation. Therefore, you can adapt your own digitisation plan around your own level of expertise.
- “We’ll be vulnerable to security breaches”. Again, this is totally understandable. However, firstly we’re not infiltrating your system, so your current level on onsite security remains the same. There is a secure link between your system and our cloud-based platform. Secondly, our data centres have the maximum level of security possible. You’ll also be able to maintain your own level of compliance, as we provide a fully documented audit trail of all the transactions that pass through our system. You can find more information on our certifications, including ISO27001, here.
- “Implementation will be too much work”. With a managed service provider, like OmPrompt, you don’t have to worry about developing applications and software to support your digitisation. With the exception of providing master data and a secure connection, much of the implementation activity will be within other departments, like customer service and finance. And, as the department with overall responsibility for IT, you can approach this in a controlled way, at a pace your organisation can easily cope with.
- “We won’t have visibility of what’s going on”. As all the nuts and bolts of automation is happening within our platform, it can give the impression that it’s all under the radar and out of your control. However, there are two issues here: one is that with fewer errors, your master data will actually be more accurate, and you’ll actually have a clearer picture of the steps within your operational supply chain; the second is that once all the data is captured and analysed, you can make use of cognitive visibility solutions to give you even more of an insight into what was going on than before.
Digitisation can seem like a major change to your organisation. And, in a way, it is. But it doesn’t have to be the major upheaval to your IT department.
For more information on how IT can help manufacturing organisations transform their operational supply chains, download our white paper: Leading your Organisation into the Digital Age